A series opener between the New York Yankees (17-7) and Texas Rangers (10-14) is scheduled for Friday at 7:05 PM ET, at Yankee Stadium.
The Rangers are an away underdog (+145) at the Yankees (-165). The matchup on the mound for this contest is set with the New York Yankees looking to Gerrit Cole (2-0), and Glenn Otto (1-0) getting the nod for the Texas Rangers.
The Yankees lost 2-1 against the Blue Jays Friday, with Nestor Cortes Jr. getting credited with the loss. He threw four innings, giving up two earned runs on four hits while striking out three. Joey Gallo went 1-for-3 with a home run and an RBI to lead the Yankees offensively.
The Rangers defeated the Phillies 2-1 Friday, with Matt Bush registering the win while pitching 1/3 of an inning without giving up a hit or an earned run. Brad Miller went 1-for-3 with a home run and two RBI to lead the Rangers’ offense.
Here is what you need to get ready for Friday’s Yankees vs. Rangers game.
New York Yankees Vs. Texas Rangers Odds and Betting Lines
Major League Baseball odds courtesy of Typical Sportsbook. Odds updated Thursday at 8:04 AM ET. For a full list of sports betting odds, access USA TODAY Sports Betting Scores Odds Hub.
- Favorite: Yankees (-165, bet $ 165 to win $ 100)
- Underdog: Rangers (+145, bet $ 100 to win $ 145)
- Over / under: 6.5
Deposit $ 10, GET $ 200 INSTANTLY: Get action on this game! Place your legal sports bets in CO and NJ at Tipico Sportsbook. Exclusive USA TODAY Network offer: Deposit $ 10, get $ 200 in betting credit instantly. 21+, terms and conditions apply. Bet now!
Yankees Stats and Trends
Yankees Betting Records
- This season, the Yankees have won 15 out of the 22 games, or 68.2%, in which they’ve been favored.
- New York has a record of 12-4 in games where bookmakers favor them by at least -165 on the moneyline.
- The moneyline for this contest implies a 62.3% chance of a victory for the Yankees.
- So far this season, New York and its opponents have hit the over in nine of their 23 games with a total.
- The Yankees are 13-10-0 ATS in their 23 games with a spread this season.
Gerrit Cole (Yankees Probable Starter)
- The Yankees’ Cole (2-0) will make his sixth start of the season.
- The right-hander did not allow a run in 6 2/3 innings pitched on Saturday in his last outing, a matchup with the Kansas City Royals.
- The 31-year-old has pitched in five games this season with an ERA of 3.00, a 2.7 strikeout-to-walk ratio and a WHIP of 1,167.
- He’s looking to extend his two-game quality start streak.
- Cole will look to finish five or more innings for the third start in a row.
- The Rangers rank 15th in MLB with 104 runs scored this season. They have a .224 batting average this campaign with 21 home runs (16th in the league).
- The 31-year-old’s 3.00 ERA ranks 35th, 1.167 WHIP ranks 39th, and 10.1 K / 9 ranks 13th among qualified pitchers in the majors this campaign.
Yankees Batting Stats
- The Yankees’ 30 home runs rank fourth in Major League Baseball.
- Fueled by 68 extra-base hits, the Yankees rank fifth in MLB with a .401 slugging percentage this season.
- New York has a team batting average of .240 this season, which ranks 10th among MLB teams.
- The Yankees rank 11th in the league with 107 total runs scored this season.
- New York has an OBP of .317 this season, which ranks ninth in MLB.
- The Yankees rank 15th with an average of 8.5 strikeouts per game.
Rangers Stats and Trends
Rangers Betting Records
- The Rangers have come away with nine wins in the 20 contests they have been listed as the underdogs this season.
- Texas has a mark of 2-2 in contests where oddsmakers favor them by +145 or worse on the moneyline.
- The Rangers have an implied victory probability of 40.8% according to the moneyline set for this matchup.
- Texas’ games have gone over the total in 11 of their 24 opportunities.
- The Rangers have an against the spread record of 13-11-0 in 24 games with a line this season.
Glenn Otto (Rangers Probable Starter)
- Otto (1-0) gets the start for the Rangers, his third of the season.
- His last appearance came on Thursday, April 28 against the Houston Astros, when the righty tossed 4 1/3 innings, surrendering two earned runs while allowing four hits.
- In two appearances this season, he has put up a 2.89 ERA and averages 9.6 strikeouts per nine innings while opposing batters are hitting .176 against him.
- Otto heads into the game with one outing of five or more innings pitched this season.
- The opposing Yankees offense has the fifth-ranked slugging percentage (.401) and ranks fourth in home runs hit (30) in all of MLB. They have a collective .240 batting average, and are 12th in the league with 190 total hits and 11th in MLB play scoring 107 runs.
Rangers Batting Stats
- The Rangers rank 16th in MLB play with 21 total home runs.
- This season, the Rangers are 25th in baseball, slugging .340.
- Texas’ .224 batting average ranks 23rd in MLB.
- The Rangers score the 15th-most runs in baseball (104 total, 4.3 per game).
- Texas is 24th in baseball with a .293 on-base percentage.
- The Rangers strike out 7.7 times per game to rank sixth in the league.
Place your legal, online sports bets in CO and NJ at Tipico Sportsbook now.
Gannett may earn revenue from Tipico for audience referrals to betting services. Tipico has no influence over nor are any such revenues in any way dependent on or linked to the newsrooms or news coverage. See Tipico.com for Terms and Conditions. 21+ only. Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS-OFF (IA).